Hosted by PathCheck Foundation, Institute for Technology & Global Health, Hood Medicine Initiative, We Got Us, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Rho Nu Chapter and Global CoCreation Lab
Moderators: Sienna Leis and Drake Johnson
Aug 3. Listen to recording here
- Peter Hotez, American scientist, pediatrician, and advocate in the fields of global health, vaccinology, and neglected tropical disease control. He serves as founding dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine, Professor of Pediatrics and Molecular Virology & Microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine, where he is also Director of the Texas Children's Hospital Center for Vaccine Development
- Hon. E. Jay Saunders has been the Deputy Premier of the Turks & Caicos Islands (TCI) since Feb 2021. Currently he holds portfolio responsibility for the Ministry of Health & Human Services, which includes managing the TCI Government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Ministry of Health & Human Services is the largest TCI Government department (by expenditure), with a FY21/22 budget of US$81.4M.
- Jonathan White, Co-Founder and Policy Director, Hood Medicine Initiative, a nonprofit public health collective made up of scientists, hackers, and other assorted geeks who are dedicated to improving the health of black and brown people, and the communities we live in.
- Doug Slaughter, Epidemiologist, CDC Foundation, an independent nonprofit and the sole entity created by Congress to mobilize philanthropic and private-sector resources to support the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s critical health protection work. The foundation is a catalyst for unleashing the power of collaboration between CDC and philanthropies, private entities and individuals to protect the health, safety and security of America and the world.
- What are the historical reasons for vaccine hesitancy in communities of color?
- What is the way that civil society (tech experts, policy experts) can be doing to address this issue of how vaccines are developed and trials occur to minimize hesitancy?
- What are examples of politically motivated weaponization of misinformation that have been demonstrated during this global pandemic?
- How does communications and marketing strategy play a role in encouraging confidence in the vaccine?